Thursday, November 21, 2013

Expanding the neighborhood

Who do you consider your neighbor? Do you confine the title to those people who live near you? Are they a street away? Two streets away? A world away? One of the definitions of the word neighbor is Fellow Man. When I started thinking about who my neighbors were a few weeks ago I startled myself with the conclusion that really, anyone around me in my life could be considered my neighbor. Then I started to think about the charge that is given in the Bible from Jesus to "Love your neighbor as yourself". Really? All of my neighbors? Like the whole world?

I was convicted that I need to keep in mind the importance of caring for all of the human beings around in my life and those I haven't met yet. It can be overwhelming at times. Am I doing enough? Do I love enough? What is enough? My time in The DR has greatly expanded my scope of the world. Suddenly, my personal life and emotional connection includes the multiple people I have come to love in a country more than 3,500 miles away. It is staggering but yet it is life giving.

So this is me, challenging you. Who are your neighbors? What are you doing to love them? Is it enough? My life has changed from my experience of giving of myself to the people of Barahona. My neighborhood has expanded. I selfishly give an awful lot to myself. I guess that means I should be giving even more to those around me.

Specifically, I'm offering you an opportunity. I am taking a group of people to The Dominican Republic for a week in the middle of June. It will be a trip similar to the one I took in the spring. There will be a lot of relationship creation. There will be some tough stuff to see. There will be moments that will take your breath away and moments you wish you could relive over and over again. The trip is appropriate for adults, young and old, and also for kids or young people.

If you want more information please let me know and I'm happy to give you what I can. You can come from any part of the country on this trip as part of the team. I will help you with fundraising if finances are an issue. Don't let fear get in the way of doing something that could change your life and the lives of those who we will be reaching out to. We can't do it without you.

Come with me on an adventure of a lifetime. Expand your neighborhood.

I'm so glad to count Nicol as my Neighbor

No comments: