Tuesday, October 08, 2013

The DR is for lovers

Whoever said Paris is for lovers hadn't been to the DR. Everywhere you look there are couples canoodling. I don't know if it is because of the heat or just a product of culture but it is everywhere. Behavior is very PG but it's on every corner. I guess I shouldn't have been surprised given the very brazen requests for 1) my hand in marriage 2) to be someone's girlfriend or 3) to be given a Dominican baby (yikes) when I was here this spring but I think that perhaps because I am wondering around a bit on my own I have a better chance to take in more of what's around me.

It's actually kind of nice to see. My friend Bruna mentioned to me that she has seen that Dominican people really have very little but across the board she sees joy and happiness in all of them. Luis put it a bit more susinctly - even though things are "the shit" we still find reasons to celebrate and we love our country. 

That's what fiesta was all about on Sunday night. Celebration, joy and love where all around. It's one if the best Dominican experiences I've ever had. I'm so thankful I met Bruna in the taxi in the way from the airport on Sunday and that she invited me to join them. 

I danced the bachata with success and attempted salsa although I was a bit tired and couldn't get my feet to go where I knew they needed to. It was a great way to kick off the week. 



No comments: