Sunday, October 13, 2013

Adios Santo Domingo. Hola Barahona

On my last night in Santo Domingo I was completely on my own because my schoolmates all jumped on a bus for a weekend in Sosua at the beach. There was part of me, for about ten minutes, that wished I had been able to join them but my heart was being pulled very strongly to Barahona and I knew it was time to head southwest.


I finished with school about 4:00 and was given my certificate of completion and warm hugs from teachers and administrators and then I went on my way back to Zona Colonial where I dropped my backpack at home and decided to take advantage of my only afternoon to wander around the old part of town. 

I started at the Plaza of Montesinos which is a statue about 150 feet high of Fray Anton de Montesinos, the priest who protested Spanish treatment of the slaves. It is quite impressive from afar so I thought I would check it out and see what it was like up close. Unfortunately, it really didn't have anything other than a military policeman peeing in a corner. I should have enjoyed it from afar but with my curiosity satisfied I headed toward the center of things. 

It didn't take long for me to find the area of the city where we had toured in the spring with the first cathedral and fun but touristy shopping and the statue of Chrisopher Columbus. I was thankful that the fiesta Luis, Bruna and I attended on Sunday was in that area because I knew I could walk there pretty easily. I found a shop with Larimar jewelry which I was tempted by and then I went to the square outside Columbus' house. I loved the square when we were there in the spring and I wanted a few moments to just sit and soak in the fact that I was there again. Never in my wildest dreams would I have imagined a year ago that I would be in The DR more than once ever in my life. My life has changed beyond significantly in the last year and to just have a minute to sit and think about that was really important to me. 

From there I walked through town, stopping to watch a game of dominos for a while and peeked into the cathedral quickly as they were closing because we weren't able to do so when I was there before due to a baptism.

I decided to take advantage of the time and stop into a grocery store to buy some coffee. I figured it was probably cheaper in Barahona but to just get it done was worth paying a little extra. 

While I was there I stopped to look at the spices because I have tried to copy the rice and beans at home but haven't had luck with the flavors. I figure it is because they have a spice here we don't have readily available in the states. 

While I was looking at the spices a youngish Dominican man who worked in the store came up to me and started talking to me. His English was pretty good and he was sweet but it became clear he really only wanted to hit on me and wasn't being at all helpful. It is funny because in the states men are so passive. It's a complaint all of my single girlfriends and I have. The Latino population however is not that way. The first few days in The DR I find it a bit amusing but now, with over a week under my belt, the novelty has worn off a bit and I'm starting to tire of hearing "linda" and "bonita". I ended up leaving the grocery store with only my coffee. 

After that I walked back down by the water, checked out the sunset, saw a dead body and decided it was time to turn in for the evening. 

You know, a normal evening in Santo Domingo. 

On to Barahona. 













No comments: