Thursday, January 03, 2013

Resolutions

It might seem strange but I'm here to admit I'm a little afraid of 2013. I'm very superstitious (hello, baseball fan!) and the fact that the year has the number 13 in it has me a little on edge. My house number has a 13 in it and I have blamed that for a myriad of things throughout the two years I've lived there. I'm extra careful on any 13th day of the month, in particular if it is a Friday. I don't ever go on the 13th floor of our building. It's a thing. It's irrational and I know it but it's still there.

I've voiced my fear of 2013 to quite a few people and have been met with varying degrees of eye rolling. It's OK - I expect that. I don't expect everyone to share my version of crazy.

Despite my reluctance though, 2013 is here.  I always have a few "resolutions" to start a new year.  Sometimes they are specific and sometimes they are generic.  Always it is a time to remind myself to live "intentionally". 

People often ask what that means.  To me it means taking the time to think about things before I do them.  To think about how I choose to spend my time, think about how I choose to spend my money, think about who I choose to be in relationship with, think about what I eat, think about my activity level, think about my interactions with people and who are important in the moment.  The list goes on.  It can be exhausting to not just let life happen.  That's the reason I need to remind myself every Jan 1 to get centered and focus on these decisions.

One year as a resolution I decided to do a triathlon.  That was a great resolution.  I'm very proud of my years as a triathlete.

I've done the whole "lose weight" thing.  Last year I lost 40 pounds.  It wasn't a New Years resolution necessarily but it started just after the first of the year.  I feel so much better about myself and feel less concern over my weight shortening the life of my hip.  I'm looking to shed 10 more this year.

One year I resolved to go to one movie a month.  That one was not as easy as you would think.  It was during law school and there were months when I had to really force myself to take the two hours to go to a movie.  Forced down time is not always easy for me.

I've resolved in 2013 to read the whole Bible and to make time to be in the Word before I do anything else in the morning.  Any of you who know me well, know the mornings are not my favorite time of the day.  It's always a struggle to get moving but I also have the tendency to get caught up in my day once I let the inertia take hold.  I've never read the Bible in its entirety.  This is something I've always felt bad about.  I have read so much of the Bible but I am also aware by not knowing all of it I'm missing out on some of God's promises.  They handed out a reading plan at church last Sunday I'm certain I can follow.  So far I've stuck to the resolution - 3 for 3.

This year, in addition to reflecting and remembering to be intentional in life and reading my Bible every morning before I do anything else, I've decided I need to resolve to be less busy.  This isn't the first time it's been my resolution but it is the first year I've had a specific plan.  Dave Ramsey is always talking about making "dreams" reality by having a plan.  In fact, the desk calendar I had of his for 2012 specifically spoke to that on the last day of the year.

You have been existing for so long that you've forgotten to dream.  I want you to go back to dreaming a little bit, but don't stop there.  Take the dream and convert it to bite-sized goals that are accomplishable.  If you could do anything you wanted to do and education and money weren't barriers, what would you do?
My dream is always to live a healthier more fulfilled life.  Unscheduling myself, allowing time for spontaneity and time to breathe, is a step toward that fulfilled life.  I want to take the time to create new dreams for myself.  I don't know what those are going to be as things have taken a turn I didn't see coming as of late, but a step in that direction is most definitely to allow myself the time to actually think about it.  Write it down.  Own whatever that dream looks like.  To do this I am going to say no to at least one activity every two weeks.  Writing that down makes me shutter a little but I've already said no to one invitation this week so I'm taking some baby steps.

With that said - you might see some of those dreams expressed here in 2013.  This is a venue I often use to process and document.  If 2013 doesn't turn out to be jinxed it will be fun to look back and see how things evolve.  I hope your resolutions for 2013 haven't fallen off yet.  They say if you can get through the first three weeks you stand a chance at a life change.  I say go for it!

2 comments:

jennifer said...

I hope 2013 is not as bad as the #13 might make it seem! A little more downtime in your life, and a little more Bible sounds great :) I am pulling for you on both accounts!

PhinneyGirl said...

I'm right there with you on the #13! I hope that this year is a great one for you :-)