Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Sensing a Pattern

I was thinking recently about the major moves I’ve made in my “adult” life. Really there have only been two non-school related moves. I tend to be pretty steady when I pick a spot and a direction. I’m always open for the call of the wind if need be but my history has had the wind keeping me grounded rather than picking me up and moving me around. I moved to Seattle in 2003 to take the bar exam and start my career. I was fortunate to have a couple of good friends in the area who were my home base. I was also fortunate to meet two girls in my bar review class who became good friends for the summer and a bit of time beyond that. It was just enough support to get me started.

When I worked for the judge I was surrounded by a lot of people more or less my age. My friendships at work started as casual acquaintances and then developed into more meaningful, although frustrating, relationships as I dated and spent more time with people. For the first year they kept me from being lonely. Then right around the same time MFer and I broke up I was invited to a church group with Aaron and Heidi where I found friends and a support group that continues to exist to this day, even across the miles. My friendships at the county slowly dissolved as I moved to a new job at a firm in south county. Some remained longer than others. Some I was happy to move away from. Some I mourned the loss of them in my life.

I moved to Spokane in January of this year. I am very fortunate to have my family here as a support. I made some friends really quickly at work. My expectation is that most of those friendships will last because I have no thought of leaving my awesome job. Things change but for now that’s where I see myself. Now, I’ve found a church and was invited to a small group for 20-30 year olds and I hope that once again I’m going to find a place filled with friends and support.

It will be interesting to see if the pattern from my earlier move continues as I’m seeing it unfold now. I would be happy if it did. I would have liked to avoid the broken heart that I went through in Seattle, and to some extent I think I have for now, but if it all ends up with me as happy as I was there it will be well worth it.

No comments: