Thursday, June 25, 2009

Small Blessings

Today I experienced one of those small blessings that you have to appreciate because of the help they give you in your life. On my way home for lunch I had to stop suddenly to avoid a construction vehicle that figured it could cut in front of me even though it was driving at about 1/3 of my speed (grumble grumble). I didn’t think anything of it except that it was annoying.

When I got back into my car after lunch it smelled like I had left a piece of fruit in my car which had heated up from the sun during the 45 minutes or so that I was home. I couldn’t figure it out because I had taken my mango into work with me this morning which was the only fruit I remembered having in my car but Moxie’s hammock was in the backseat so I just figured it must have had something to do with it.

As I pulled into the parking lot at work it suddenly hit me that it smelled like fermented grapes – aka wine. Then it hit me even harder that I had four magnum sized bottles of wine in my trunk that I was returning to Rotary this evening. Suddenly, panic ensued and I began to sweat. Anyone who knows me knows my vehicles are sort of my babies. I still own and protect my first vehicle – a 1989 Jeep Cherokee with over 200,000 miles on it named Babe, and I love my Volvo, Lucy Lou, just because I do. It’s my dad in me and it will never change.

Anyway, I quickly did inventory in my mind of what kinds of wine were in the box and I realized there were three reds and one white. I began praying frantically that it was a white that broke. It would still take some cleaning but at least it wouldn’t cause a stain. I knew it wasn’t likely given the odds but I asked God to have had a hand in it. It seems like a minor thing but when your life is a little on the edge (as an example I just got rid of a 5 day headache which I’m pretty sure was at least partially stress induced) having a huge red wine stain in the trunk is not something you need. I opened the trunk with one eye open and thank you Lord – it was the white!!!

Just writing this here makes me breathe a sigh of relief.

We are so lucky to have a God who blesses us – even in the little stuff.

No comments: