Monday, June 15, 2009

For My Love

I’ve loved Bethany Dillon for a number of years now. I was surprised to be reminded that her first album came out in 2004 but reflecting back on my life that makes sense with what was going on at the time I fell in love with it. She was 15 at the time but yet still seemed to hit a spot in my heart that caused me to relate to her music in a profound way.

Lately, a lot of my single women friends and I have been talking about our desires to be pursued by a man who could or has fallen in love with us. For some reason, God has placed a desire in our heart for that pursuit – and I think if men where to truly listen to the longings of their hearts they would realize they wish to be the pursuers.

It’s frustrating when time and time again we see that pursuit fail. So many men in this world are afraid to be men and to take the risk that is involved to pursue something or someone who they admire. It is a source of utmost frustration for many (frankly all) single women in my life. Where are the men who are able to truly be the men God has created them to be? Why are we stuck on the side wishing they would step up? Call us old fashioned, call us backward – maybe we are in this world. But my Christian women friends don’t want to live as though we are part of this world. We want to live in a way that we reflect what God has created us to be, and part of that is a submissive wife. I know many people reading this cringe at the word “submissive” and to be honest, it’s a mite bit hard for me to type. But submission doesn’t mean insignificant or inferior. It means treasured, honored and honoring. I want to respect my husband more than anything else and I want him to love me more than anything else. That’s all any of us are looking for – but to get there one must be pursued.

The song For My Love by Bethany Dillon came on while my dad and I were working around my house yesterday and I was reminded of something I read about the song when it first came out. Thankfully I was able to find it again. I had this taped to my mirror for a long time and I think it’s time to put it back up there again as a reminder of what I truly long for. I love that she not only says she longs to be pursued but that she longs to be RECKLESSLY pursued. That is the sign of a true man. Someday, I know God will bless me with a man who will see the value in me and will not be able to pass it up. I pray the same for all of my single women friends as we struggle through this time of questioning and frustration.

I love each of you and know God has the best planned for you. I can’t wait to see what exactly that is.

For My Love From an Interview with Bethany Dillon - It’s deeply rooted in every woman- the question; do I stand out in a crowd? The vision of someone walking across a room and asking me to dance plays over and over in my mind; out of the whole room, I was chosen. I’ll be honest, I’m fifteen, I have crushes. But more than whimsical feelings and fickle emotion, I really do want to be fought for. I long to be recklessly pursued. I’m looking for true love, something honest and untainted, with no hidden agenda but that it wants to chase after me.

I love Psalm 45: Listen to me, O royal daughter; take to heart what I say. Forget your people and your homeland far away. For your royal husband delights in your beauty.

That’s it! That’s what every chick flick revolves around, that’s what every romance novel is written about, those are the exact words that made me want to be a princess when I was younger. The sad reality is, though, that women often aren’t validated and reassured that they’re worth that kind of affection. It scars us in the deepest places and causes us to cover our mouths when we smile and hide who we truly are. But, that’s what I love about Jesus. He’s a husband to the widow, the freer of a captive heart.