Monday, December 15, 2008

What a Weekend

I had one of those weekends that was so wonderful I feel like it couldn’t have really happened. It’s Monday afternoon and I’m starting my last (sort of) full week until Christmas so I know it DID happen but I think I might have dreamed my way through it.

It of course started on Friday. I was relieved the work week was over. They are a little long right now, mostly because of my inability to focus and Friday evening crept slowly into being. Erin got into town at about 10am and it killed me to not be able to immediately meet up with her, but I knew she needed time with her parents and I needed time to recharge myself so I wouldn’t end up starting the week out of sorts. I left work and went for a really nice swim. I did something to my right quad muscle about a week ago so I’ve been being careful with it and swimming, as long as I only do a flutter kick and steer clear of a frog kick, has been a good “rehab” type exercise. It was a very empty and quiet pool and I enjoyed it so much I swam twice as long as I had planned. I sat in the hot tub for a while afterward and enjoyed a conversation with my exboyfriend’s cousin (random) and had a good laugh as we talked about my most stressful moment working for Snohomish County (which he had caused). That stressful moment at the county was also the first and I believe only time, I almost committed a felony. It’s a funny and long story. If you want to hear it I’m happy to tell it. Just ask me sometime.

On Saturday morning I coached my basketball team to our second loss. Well, we can’t win them all and evidently the team we played has played together for a long time. My team is WONDERFUL. I need to get some pictures and post them. They are all third grade girls and they are all so incredibly well behaved it’s a bit amazing. Sometimes I wonder if they are scared of me or something. I don’t think I’m scary……

Anyway, after the game I went and met up with Kirstin and we went downtown for an Argosy cruise. It was the last of my three free cruises that my mom won for me at an auction. It was interesting, not my favorite of the three, but we went down around the industrial shipping yards near the West Seattle Bridge. That portion of Seattle is a bit fascinating to me because I just don’t think about it at all. It’s sort of an afterthought to me. To get up close and personal and learn some of the more interesting facts about the ship yards was really neat. After the cruise we went up to Green Lake and sat for about an hour in Chocolates and had a nice chance to talk and stay warm until we went and met up with Tammy, Grace, Susan, Alec, Ryan and one other girl whose name is escaping me (shoot) for the Green Lake Luminaries. It was beautiful and the snow started to fall as we walked around the lake. Spontaneous caroling broke out around the lake and we stopped and sang along with more organized caroling at times. From choirs to a band of Ukuleles who took “referrals” it was a pretty neat event. There was ample time to visit and enjoy the lights on the houses around the lake. It definitely felt like Christmas.

One of the things Ryan and I talked about as we circled the lake stuck with me into the next day and I’m still sort of pondering it. He told me that on Friday he was working in the pouring down rain and it hit him how it was a bit ridiculous (I think that was the word he used) to be doing what he was doing at that moment. I wish now I had asked him a few more questions about it. I don’t know if he meant that his work was ridiculous, that being out in the weather was or specifically what caused him to have that feeling. I asked some questions but in hindsight still didn’t have the clarification I wished I had gotten. I started thinking about it more on my way home and how there are times in life where you have that moment, we all have them, the moment where you ask yourself “what the heck am I doing”. I think at our age for most of us that question comes when thinking about our careers. They take a lot of time, time that you could be doing something else or working toward a different end. As some of you know I’m at a point where I’m trying to make a change. I currently have an idea about what that change might be but I’m not certain. If not this option then what? I know what I don’t want but figuring what I DO want is a bit more tricky. Sometimes, dealing with people’s stupid petty problems is a bit ridiculous. Having to work within the “rules” established by courts for page limits and time limits and other rules is often ridiculous – especially when you consider sometimes it masks what is truly “justice”. Anyway, I’m nowhere near finished processing this as related to my own life and I wish I had pressed Ryan a bit more about what he meant. Maybe he could have given me some clarification in my own life. If only the answer were simple. The New Year is coming and I have resolutions to make.

This is just one example of the good conversation that happened as we walked around the lake. I walked away feeling blessed by my time catching up with Susan and the time I had with Kirstin throughout the day and then topped off with good conversation about various things (serious and not) around the lake with a group of new friends. It was an amazing few hours.

Saturday night Erin was at my house and we caught up and watched cheesy ABC Family Christmas specials without heckling from Daniel. Sunday we got up and went to Arlington to hunt for a Christmas tree. Since as long as I can remember our families would go there to get a tree for Christmas. There were hayrides and cider and lots of wet years. The farm has changed a bit, there are no hayrides and you have to pay for the cider but the power lines still buzz above and there is still a smoking hot woodstove in the hut. This year we got to go get a tree in the snow. Still wet, but a fun kind of wet. I like to have an excuse to pull my Jeep out of the garage and have her do some work. It makes me think of being in OR and MN. Erin and I were called “burley women” for going on our own to cut down a tree and take it home. I think Erin was offended. I was proud. Ha!


The tree went up and was decorated all while watching Home Alone 1 (and part of 2) and we went to her parents place for dinner. It is so nice to have Erin in town. There is a comfort in “best friends” and my best friends have all scattered overtime so when they come back it is always wonderful. I’m counting the days (4) until Adrienne gets here and the months (3) until Sarah and my baby Jake come visit and the weeks after that (3) until I make a trip to MN to see Jenny, Jodi and Kristen. Not that I don’t have wonderful friends here that I love beyond belief but those who are so far away are missed terribly.

The weekend ended with a little time to read a good book and snuggle Tessie who loves the new tree. I’m hopeful she won’t eat the plastic one in my bedroom any longer now that she has a real one.

Now I’m here at work. It’s frigid outside and I’m counting the days until celebrating the birth of Jesus (9). It will be wonderful to be with my family for 6 days. I’m missing those best friends as well.

This will likely be it until after the holiday for me so I’m wishing you a Merry Christmas. I pray you will feel the warmth of Jesus’ love and the joy of God’s gift as we celebrate the most wonderful Christmas gift of all – the birth of Jesus. Merry Christmas!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Sometimes the "what in the heck am I doing?" question gets answered in a different way than you think or way after you think the answer should come...