Tuesday, December 09, 2008

Catching Up

It seems I have some catching up to do. I didn’t realize I had been so busy lately. I’ve had a number of entries floating around but no time to put thought on paper. SO, here is my attempt to catch up. It’s going to be random and all over the place; hold on to your hats.

First of all: I’m officially in my 30s. Scary. I went to my parent’s place for my birthday which happened to fall on a Saturday this year. It was nice to be home since I hadn’t been there since June. I guess I haven’t been a very attentive daughter lately. We had a low key weekend and I got lots of love from my niece, nephew and the rest of my family. I’m lucky to have such an awesome one. I also have wonderful friends who threw me a party at Bucca de Bepo the following Friday. It’s always so wonderful to get together and share a meal with the people in your life you care the most about. Thanks guys for spending a Friday night celebrating!

Second: On November 16th Kirstin, Kim, Laura Belle and I participated in the Winter Pineapple Classic. It is a 5k obstacle course that you compete in as a team of two or four. We had a great time and Sam documented team “Good Dirty Fun” as we climbed over walls, through tubes and over hay bales. Kirstin put together a great collage on her blog. Take a peak.

Third: Thanksgiving – This year there has been a lot of doom and gloom over the state of the world. I think it sort of started to get to me around election time so as Thanksgiving rolled around I found myself wondering what I deep down was thankful for. I was talking to a client the day or so before Thanksgiving. He’s a client that I really like, around my age, pretty personable and we were just chatting a little before getting down to business for the day. I can’t remember specifically what his question to me was, whether it was how are you or something else along those lines but I started to sort of complain about something. About halfway through my sentence though I stopped myself. I said to him “You know J. I’m sitting in a warm office at a job that I am ok with, drinking a hot cup of coffee and having a good conversation so I guess I would say I am doing really well” or something to that effect. The conversation moved on from there and I didn’t think too much of it until the next day or so when I reflected again about what exactly I was thankful for in 2008. Of course, I’m thankful for my family and friends which I am always thankful for. I’m thankful for the country I live in where I can practice religion as I choose and of course that I have a God who loves me even when I screw up. I guess though mostly in 2008 I am thankful for the small things. I’m thankful for my health. I’m thankful I have a house that I’m comfortable in and can afford to heat. I’m thankful I have a cat that is nuts but who is like my second shadow and while I’m not ALWAYS happy at it, I’m thankful that I have a job that is challenging and at times rewarding. I’m thankful for my hot cup of coffee (or two) every morning. That’s an awful lot to be thankful for.

Finally: Worries – I was reminded yet again this week how much God provides for us. I worry about money a lot and it’s something I really should do a better job of letting go of. For some reason money to me is security. Instead, it should be God who is my security. I’m workin’ on it. The end of the year is always a little tighter for me because if I haven’t stuck to my budget closely my bonus money is all but gone. This Christmas I was determined to not have to use my credit cards to buy Christmas gifts. This meant being extremely careful in not only what I spend on Christmas gifts but also what I spend on everyday stuff. Well, payday comes next Monday and I looked at my bank account and realized I was going to be a little short –$30 short to be exact. I didn’t want to tap into my savings and I didn’t want to use my credit card so I was worried about what to do. I started to stress about it which seems stupid but I did – like I said, it is an area I'm working on. Well, yesterday I received a reimbursement check from my work for – you guessed it - $30. My dad is always telling me if we continue to be faithful to God in our giving he will be faithful to us in supporting us when we need it. I do not look at that $30 check as a random coincidence. That check to me was God reaching out and saying – Kristin, I’ve got you. He didn’t over provide for me, he gave me exactly what I needed and that is what he does right? He provides exactly what we need exactly when we need it. How lucky are we to have a God who loves us so much that he takes care of $30 when we need it.

Huh, another thing to be Thankful for.

No comments: