Wednesday, November 05, 2008

Not a good day

Yesterday was not a good day for me as an American. I heard someone on the radio say this morning that they felt like yesterday was Christmas. I felt like yesterday was a slap in the face. I know many of you probably won’t agree with my politics here but this is how I feel so either bear with me – I’ll be bearing with your decision for the next four years and beyond – or stop reading and come back next time. I promise to write another entry shortly – I already have one brewing.

1) President: I have never hidden the fact that I am a conservative. Now, did I think McCain was the best candidate or the best person I could hope for to be the next in office, no. Did I think he was a better person for office than Obama, yes. Let me explain why. In large part it is financial. OK so there are some human rights issues too and environmental and foreign strength and health care policy and well, the list goes on but for ease of expression I am going to keep this to my financial/economic concerns.

I’m terrified of what his Presidency is going to do to my paycheck. First of all, I understand people go through hard times and sometimes need a hand up. What I am sick and tired of and something I see Obama strengthening is the “hand out”. I get furious when people do not take personal accountability and frankly I am almost as furious about the people who don’t expect it. If you are going to take my tax dollars that I have worked beyond hard for and give them to someone who simply hasn’t done what they need to do to move into a better place then that isn’t right. I’m not the smartest person you will come across in your life but I have worked my butt off to get to the place I am today. And I don’t even make that much money compared to what I am paying to have gotten here and will continue to pay for the next 25 years of my life.

I don’t care what Obama has said in the past 70 years of campaigning, my paycheck will be effected by him being president and having the economic policies which he does. Here’s why: I am a single person with no real tax breaks other than my house which puts me into a fairly high tax bracket. HOWEVER, if you look at what is coming in as income and what is going out to handle debt I am not upper class in fact I barely can be considered middle class. So, I fully expect to begin to pay more of the hand outs to people who haven’t done what they should do to get out of the various positions they are in (sorry if this sounds unsympathetic – frankly I am) which will then make things more difficult for me, causing me to carry their slack. This, I am not ok with.

The second reason I have no doubt I will see an effect in my income level is that I work in a small company (only eleven and one-half employees, no she isn’t half a person, she works part time) that makes over $250,000. I’m sorry but I don’t believe for one fraction of a second that 90% of small business in America make less than that. That’s stupid and anyone who believed that clearly knows nothing of small business. I generally get a pay raise at the end of the year. I would bet all of next year’s paycheck that this December 31st I will get the bonus I have earned through my revenue in 2008 but I will not receive a pay raise, or will receive an insignificant one.

Thanks Obama. Now not only do I have to pay you as the federal government more to give to people who haven’t worked as hard as I have all my life but I also get LESS money to do it with. Awesome.

Oh and just so all of you know - I give from my paycheck in many ways so it isn't like I don't already do a large part to help those who need the help. I would bet the percentage of my paycheck that goes to charitable giving is comparable to most of you reading this. I just want to get that out there, not to brag, but to make clear that I support giving assistance to those in need as God has commanded us to but I would appreciate being able to control where that goes. Now I'm going to have to cut back in areas I feel passionate about giving to because the government is going to reach deeper into my pocket and far more often.

2) Proposition 1000 (Physician Assisted Suicide) – I felt almost more passionate about this proposition than perhaps I did about the presidency. For the record – Webster’s defines suicide as:

The act of taking one's own life voluntary and intentionally; self-murder; the deliberate and intentional destruction of one's own life by a person of years of discretion and of sound mind.
- so yes, this IS suicide no matter if you call it “death with dignity” or not. It is WRONG to allow people to commit suicide rather than put their family through what they see as the hardship of their illness. It is just plain wrong. It is WRONG to make doctors lie on death certificates. It is just plain wrong. It is WRONG to not value human life. It is just plain wrong. Below is a letter to the editor my friend Molly wrote about Proposition 1000. She says it better than I ever could so I’m going to just leave it at that.

Let them keep their dignity

My dad was diagnosed with colon cancer more than a year ago. When he wasn't improving, the doctor gave him horrifying news that he would die within three months. The hospital informed us that hospice would take over his care. Two nurses visited regularly at home.

Nurse Mickey treated my dad with compassion. If my dad experienced any pain, they took care of it. God blessed our family with my dad's presence for two months. During this time, each of us had a chance to say goodbye. Family members came and shared how my father made a difference. Childhood friends shared how they valued my dad's life-changing friendship.

It was hard to see my dad fade a little each day. Every moment was a precious gift from God. On Oct. 1, my father, Michael, died at 66. I will always remember my dad's never-ending faith in God and others. The hospice care gave my dad a chance to die with dignity. Initiative 1000 takes that dignity away. When we start playing God, we lose the value of human life.

-- Molly Feeney, Sammamish

3) Washington State Governor – I really wanted Dino to win this time. I got to meet him a few months ago and was VERY impressed by his ideas he had for the state and for getting us back on track financially. Now we are stuck with more of the same and the poor schmuck who comes into office next is going to have a terrible economic mess to dig themselves out of. Plus nothing is going to change about traffic and we are going to continue to see taxes rise.

Dear Lord, please don’t let the moronic voters of this state support an income tax. Amen.

PS - the only positive to come out of yesterday (well other than Norm Coleman beating Al Frankin in MN) is that I recieved five votes for Supreme Court Justice. All without doing ANY campaigning. Maybe there is something to this.....

8 comments:

Jessy said...

AMEN SISTER! But one bright spot that I can't believe is I just heard CA approved a ban on same-sex marriage. Can that be right? If so...Alright! But we must remember as much as all this sucks, God is still in control. And for some reason or another, he has allowed this to happen. Just think about the entry you'll write in four years saying..."I told you so!"

Amanda: said...

I agree. You put a little more succinctly than I did, but the point is made - The US gov't is not supposed to be Robin Hood, stealing from those who (supposedly) are rich and giving to everyone else!

heather said...

I share in your frustration Kristin, I do and I agree with your sister...and I will join you in saying 'i told you so'!

and I was extremely disappointed that Rossi didn't win, but it goes to show, once again, how liberal Washington is.

Nathan said...

But here's the real question ... are you going to be supportive of your Country, State, etc?

Democracy is not just about voting for who/what you believe. It's about living with the outcome and embracing it as the decision that WE THE PEOPLE have decided on.

I lived in the South for a decade and was equally as frustrated in the opposite direction. But you didn't see me running around town with a "not my governor" bumper sticker. Nope, I lived with the decisions the electorate made.

So with this election, what about all folks who had the 759,000 jobs in the US that have recently evaporated because the economy has tanked? What about the thousands of folks right here in Seattle who are going to be out of a job when Chase shutters most of WaMu's operations? Is that them not trying hard enough?

I believe Jesus called us to help out the less fortunate (as you mention in your post). But I also believe if we think we can control what that looks like or what God calls us to do that's when we find out we're oh so wrong.

As far as Prop 8 in California (or the similar measures in AZ and FL) I agree and disagree with you. I don't agree with the gay lifestyle and I can see some decent biblical arguments against gay marriage. On the other hand Prop 8 has just legislated discrimination. We've gone from protecting people through laws to condemning them. There's a difference between the religious concept of marriage between man and woman, and the civil and legal rights the government has bestowed on two people who have joined as a single unit/entity. You and I can disagree with a lifestyle all we want, but when we use that disagreement based on our own personal morals to deny a couple legal rights to insurance, property, or apply other means of discrimination are we really any better than the Romans who ridiculed and oppressed the Jews for (in part) believing something different?

But back to the real important stuff and away from an argument about beliefs (because we're all entitled to our own).... What REALLY pisses me off is when people don't vote. I don't care if you're red or blue (or green or independent or whatever). But if you forego your chance to be involved in the process then you're doing yourself and the rest of us a disservice.

So Kristin I think the real folks you should be mad at are the 35% of the registered voters in the country that sat this one out (usually it's half!).

But that's my opinion, I could be wrong. :-)

Wenikio said...

Hear hear! This is going to be a dark, stressful, frustrating next few years. Pray hard sister. Remember God is righteous... even if the gov't isn't!

k said...

Finally the American people have spoken...those of us that have suffered for the last eight years have a sense of vindication. WE have chosen CHANGE. and for that i breathe easier.

Dissenter said...

There are numerous things we can account for in the last 8 or more years that point to this terrible position many people are in at the moment. It's not a conservative or liberal problem, it's a people and GREED problem. People need to come first not corporations or money.

A LOT of HARD WORKING people are falling on tough times right now and many will even be too proud to ask for help. To make a sweeping generalization that people who are needing help don't necessarily deserve it is wrong. Judge not, lest ye be judged.

I completely disagree with all of what you posted. I find it non-compassionate and almost self serving. Does it make you feel better to point out you give money to charities? Is it really out of want or is it just another way to get a tax break since it's apparently such a big issue to you? A bonus and raise is a privelege and not a right. Many people go without both.

Is it better to blame others for decisions that you don't agree with than to try to find positive outcomes and action? It is when you attempt to understand the opinion opposite of yours that you find greater understanding and empathy.

KT said...

I have to comment on what K and Dissenter said (and by the way “dissenter” if you are going to take personal attacks at me it would be awesome if you could at least leave a name. Man up). First of all K I am happy that democracy is what it is and that we get to vote and that it works etc. etc. I’m also happy that I have the right to disagree with the majority. As far as “finally” the people have spoken – ummm I’m pretty sure that’s what happened 8 and 4 years ago as well and is why Bush was elected. You can’t take what got “your” candidate into office as proof of people’s voices and then say that same process wasn’t proof of people’s voices for the last eight years.

Dissenter – Who gives people jobs so they can earn a living and provide for their families? Corporations. Who donates millions of dollars a year to charities including ones that help people who are down on their luck and need a hand up or even perhaps a hand out? Corporations. (Have you paid any attention to Microsoft lately?) But if you want to rip on them and say they are no good for our country go ahead. I’ll have to respectfully disagree with you. By the way – who are you employed by?

I’m not judging as can be seen by the differentiation in my blog entry between a “hand out” and a “hand up”. I agree people fall on hard times and need help now and again. I’m not saying that is a bad idea. What I AM saying is those who decide to make public assistance a career should not be given continued and lifetime governmental support.

My charitable giving has nothing to do with pride or tax breaks but instead has to do with 1) a commitment to my faith and tithing and 2) seeing social and community programs that need funds that I can provide. Every year that I get a pay raise which as you say is a privilege and I agree with you on that, I give more to charities or the church which then in turn uses it to help people. Without a pay raise I will give less or at least not increase my giving. Period. And my bonus is a right but you wouldn’t know that since you evidently don’t know me or the business I am in.

It’s my right to disagree with what was voted for just as it is your right to disagree with me. There is no blame here, I’m not sure where that opinion came from. But just as I am sure you have said before – don’t blame me I voted for someone different – I’ll be saying that four years from now. That’s the beauty of democracy and living in the United States of America. And by the way – don’t start saying I don’t understand the other side’s opinion. You have no idea the conversations I have been in the past year or where I have come from in my life to understand both sides. I understand and have heard all of the other sides’ opinions a million times. It is what helps me make my opinion. Without knowing what the other side stands for I would never know what my actual opinion is and in what areas I agree or disagree.