Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Adventurous Spirit


Mr. Airplane claimed a few months ago that I have an adventurous spirit. I was surprised by his observation and in fact sort of argued with him about it – telling him he was giving me to much credit. In the end, he convinced me that perhaps in a way I do tend to love adventure. I guess in my overly planned life I do enjoy the adventures that I stumble upon. I ended up having an adventure of sorts last Saturday. A group of us from church went down to Mt. St. Helens and clamored though the Ape Caves. We went through the upper caves which is about 1.5 miles and included climbing up an eight foot tall lava fall. There are no lights in the cave and it is the longest lava tube in the Continental United States. At one point everyone in the group turned off their headlamps and flashlights and you literally could not see your hand in front of your face. I found myself wanting to lead the group as often as possible, not because I didn’t trust other people to lead but because blazing the trail was just so much fun. Half of the adventure for me was trying to find where the tube continued as I was climbing feet of lose boulders. Jason and I started to be on the lookout for bottomless pits, of which there were a few, but I drew the line when people started talking about bats. Thankfully I had a stocking cap on – it is an average of only 42 degrees down there – so I didn’t have to worry about one getting stuck in my hair.

If you are looking for an adventure within driving distance of Seattle check out Ape Caves and do the upper cave. It is unlike anything you will ever do. Make sure you have a head lamp as carrying a flashlight was a bit cumbersome for people, dress warm and wear sturdy shoes.

2 comments:

Amanda: said...

FUN!!! I love the picture - you do look adventurous!

Jessy said...

Hmmm....something must have changed. I remember a terrified little girl on the rapids of the Snake River! :)