Monday, August 04, 2008

On Being Human

As a blogger I love it when I realize other people are reading my blog. Matty’s dad asked me on Saturday why I write a blog. What’s the point he wanted to know, and I really struggled with an answer. What I finally landed on was this: it’s a way for me to share what is rolling around in my head with other people and my hope is that they care about what I have to share. So with that idea, I also repay the favor and read other people’s blogs. I always love when they can make me introspective. This posting by Heather really made me think the other day and it came back to me yesterday and this morning as I was going about my day. The Bible verses she laid out there were what really caught me and I have been praying about them ever since. For ease of reference I have reposted them here – with Heathers small additions:

Paul is writing to the Romans...Romans 7:14 - 25: So the trouble is not with the law, for it (the law) is spiritual and good. The trouble is with me, for I am all too human, a slave to sin. I don't really understand myself, for I want to do what is right, but I don't do it. Instead I do what I hate. But if I know that what I am doing is wrong, this shows that I agree that the law is good. So I am not the one doing wrong; it is sin living in me that does it. And I know that nothing good lives in me, that is, my sinful nature. I want to do what is right, but I can't. I want to do what is good but I don't. I don't want to do what is wrong, but I do it anyway. But if I do what I don't want to do, I am not really the one doing wrong; it is sin living in me that does it. I have discovered this principle in life-that when I want to do what is right, I inevitably do what is wrong. I love God's law with all my heart. But there is another power within me that is at war with my mind. This power makes me a slave to the sin that is still within me. Oh what a miserable person I am! Who will free me from this life that is dominated by sin and death? Thank God! The answer is in Jesus Christ our Lord. So you see how it is: in my mind I really want to obey God's law, but because of my sinful nature I am a slave to sin.” (The exciting news in this is: Romans 8:1-2: "So now there is no condemnation for those who belong to Christ Jesus. And because you belong to him, the power of the life-giving Spirit has freed you from the power of sin that leads to death.")
Yesterday and this morning I let a little bit of worry creep into my life. It is probably one of my greatest “sins”. I tend to worry about people I care about, worry about finances, worry about the future, worry about things I can’t control. I think it comes a little from being a bit type A. What I was convicted of this morning is that the worry that I was experiencing was not based on anything that would be from God but rather was because I was getting pulled at by Old Red Legs (to quote Susan B). The reality is if I considered what I often repeat to myself 100 or 1,000 or more times a day (let go, let God) then I would worry about nothing. I would realize instead that God has things in control. There should be no fear in what is happening because God wants the best for us and wants us to be happy SO even if the worst – whatever that might be in my mind at any particular time – were to happen, the temporary pain is nothing compared to the joy that God is intending. It’s pretty awesome actually. I wish Paul was wrong in what he is saying to the Romans that we are pulled by our human nature to sin and rebel against God’s laws but I agree (I know – shocker – for those of you who have studied the Bible with me you know how much I struggle with Paul. We would NOT have gotten along.), if only I could allow what is in my heart to lead over what sometimes goes on in my head God’s joy would fill my life and I would no longer have any worries.

My favorite verse in the Bible is Matthew 6:34 but the whole section is worth repeating here. If only it were so easy:

Matthew 6: 25-34: 25"Therefore I tell you, do not worry about your life, what you will eat or drink; or about your body, what you will wear. Is not life more important than food, and the body more important than clothes? 26Look at the birds of the air; they do not sow or reap or store away in barns, and yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not much more valuable than they? 27Who of you by worrying can add a single hour to his life?

28"And why do you worry about clothes? See how the lilies of the field grow. They do not labor or spin. 29Yet I tell you that not even Solomon in all his splendor was dressed like one of these. 30If that is how God clothes the grass of the field, which is here today and tomorrow is thrown into the fire, will he not much more clothe you, O you of little faith? 31So do not worry, saying, 'What shall we eat?' or 'What shall we drink?' or 'What shall we wear?’ 32For the pagans run after all these things, and your heavenly Father knows that you need them. 33But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well. 34Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.

No comments: