Wednesday, April 02, 2008

Cat Scratch Fever

I used Wikipedia the other day to figure out if Cat Scratch Fever was a true thing. Turns out it is. Who knew? I guess sometimes kids get a fever from scratches from a cat. It has something to do with bacteria in the cats’ nails or something. Well, this entry really has nothing to do with that but it is an interesting fact.

My darling nephew gave me the flu a couple weeks ago. I was miserable. I missed three full days of work and I only went in on the fourth day for two hours because I was starting to get so stressed that sleep was becoming difficult. I generally really like living alone. I like the privacy and quiet that comes with it. When I am home I generally am exhausted and want to be able to be a bit nonsocial so I can recharge. I guess that’s why on Meyers Briggs tests I come out as almost an introvert. When you get sick though there is nothing worse than living alone. I was sick enough that getting out of bed at all was a challenge. I tend to be a little bit of a hypochondriac and figure that at all times I MIGHT die so there is a bit of nervousness there. People call and check in and my Godmom brought me food etc but it isn’t the same as having someone to check on you in regular course.

All that being said I have a crazy cat as a roommate. She is seriously nuts. She is constantly running and the way she shows appreciation is by jumping on you and ramming her mouth into you so you feel like you have been bitten by a snake. She has this way of hovering while attacking you so she is batting you but somehow in midair and yet not really touching you. I’m telling you – she is Bat Cat and it is bizarre. I don’t feel like I can completely trust her. She has gotten much better since I got her – no more drawing blood which is a step in the right direction – but she still keeps you on edge.



What does this have to do with the flu you might be wondering? Well, since I live alone Tessie was really my only company for the four days I couldn’t even make it out of bed to the couch. I figured she would wake me up and pester me like normal but I’m telling you she was a completely different cat for those four days. It was pretty cool to see actually. She slept when I slept. She would NOT leave me alone upstairs in my bedroom. I had to trick her to get her to go downstairs to eat when I thought she really needed to. It was like she was stuck to me. On the worst night of being sick I fluctuated between being boiling hot and so cold I was shaking and somehow Tessie knew that. Every time I got to the freezing stage she would stretch out on me so her whole body was covering me from shoulder to hip. It was remarkable.

Anyway, there isn’t really a point to this other than to tell the story. I think cats sometimes get a bad rap. Tessie somehow knew I needed to be cared for and she did it. I guess I have to forgive her case of the crazies and just love her for it. Cat Scratch Fever indeed.

1 comment:

Wenikio said...

Aww Tessie :) Sometimes cats are ok. The first time I took care of a kid with "cat scratch fever" was in Arizona and I totally thought they were pulling my leg. I expected them to jump into a song and dance.