Friday, February 22, 2008

You can take my pants but I’m KEEPING my Socks

I had an appointment with my “lady doctor” this morning. I won’t go into any details obviously because they are unnecessary for this entry but also because I am pretty shy about that stuff. I have a wonderful doctor but I still get almost sick anytime I have to go see her. I always end up breaking into a cold sweat. She humors me and is understanding so it is fine but the appointments always end up being a mind game for myself – mind over matter. This is the second time I have had to see her in a little over a month so the most recent appointment was still fresh in my mind this morning. I was told to undress for the appointment and I did. However, as I began to remove my socks I realized I didn’t want to take my socks off. Today I had pink fuzzy socks on and there was something about the comfort they were giving me that I just couldn’t get myself to take them off. I thought back to my other appointment a month ago and realized I hadn’t taken my socks off then either. That day I had really sexy black “work socks” on, and please sense my sarcasm over the word sexy. Anyway, I started giggling in the exam room and couldn’t stop – probably partially because of nerves but also because I looked so ridiculous in nothing but my pink fuzzy socks. Ah the joys of being a woman. How humiliating.

I started wondering however what other women do. So I’m asking you, my loyal readers – do you keep your socks on or do you remove them? I saw them as a symbol of maintaining some portion of control over the appointment which had me a bit worried and turned out just fine but they also were a great distraction for the time I was there. Has anyone else thought this in depth about this? Probably not but I am curious if you can recollect – socks or no socks?

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

My doctor tells me to keep my socks on. He's not examining my feet! He also provides a soft quilt to use if you want. Don't want your patients cold and uncomfortable. Do they ask you to take your socks off?

Anonymous said...

Socks on because when your feet are cold it makes the rest of you cold!

Anonymous said...

Socks on... they aren't coming off for anything! Besides, the metal stirrups are cold.

KermitFan said...

Socks on!

Paul & Heather said...

Socks on! my feet get cold fast and then the rest of me is freezing. I purposely wear funny looking socks with funky patterns just to see if he'll laugh...kind of lightens the mood, just a tad! :)

Amanda said...

I absolutely keep my socks on! Its my sole source of pride while sitting stiff as a board, naked, under the fabulous see-through paper thingy they let you wear.

BTW, My ex-doc told me to take my socks off before surgery. This is why I switched surgeons. At least the new one waited until I was out to take my sock off to fix my foot! Before I woke back up, he wrapped my foot back nicely up too! (cast, sock, whatever! my feet like to be covered!)