Friday, October 12, 2007

2nd Thursday Night Family Dinner







It is way too late on a Thursday night for me to be sitting down to write a blog but I am totally amped up from the evening and need a moment to let my brain get it all out and my body to slow down for half a second. I guess Tessie feels the same way because she just attacked me. We both could use some downtime.

A little over a year ago, I think September 2006, I decided I wanted to start a monthly dinner party at my place. I had wanted to start one for some time. This is actually another product of my break up with Mr. Airplane. I wanted to do something for other people. I wanted to feel like I had a community and not just a community that met on Tuesday nights to fellowship and learn about the Bible but a community in my home. When I moved to my house in November 2006 I felt extremely guilty because of its size. There was no need for Ella and I to have as much space as we have here. The way I justified the space was that I promised myself I would find a way to share it with as many people as possible. 2nd Thursday night dinner is one of the ways that I have done that.

As you can see from the pictures there is a group of about 15 of us who have become regulars at my house. It ebbs and flows a little. I think tonight we were missing one person who is here a lot and had one newbie which I am thankful for. We always drink an amazing amount of wine and beer and my dinner is notorious for having SOMETHING wrong – at least in my head – whether it be late (like tonight’s macaroni and cheese – sorry guys) or a little runny or spicy or whatever but all in all I would say I am a decent cook and I really enjoy preparing a meal for some of the people I love the most in the world. These people have truly become my family away from my family.

I was thinking tonight as I was cleaning the kitchen after everyone and their dogs left about how one of the things I want to do most in the world is make people happy. I am not generally a people pleaser. I don’t bend over and take it. I don’t agree just to appease people but if I can find a way to make someone I love happy I am happy. I think that is what 2nd Thursday Night dinner is for me. That’s what I get out of it. A chance to hopefully help people finish out their week a little bit happier than it would have been if not for the opportunity to get together, hang out, play silly games, get prayed for by Daddy Aaron or Uncle Jon and hopefully eat a good meal.

So – to my 2nd Thursday Night Family – Peter, Laura, John Mabbott, Pete, Erica, Adrienne, Sam, Kim, Rachel, Wendy, Aaron, Heidi, Suzannah, Brian, Brandon, Ruthie and Mack (and those of you who weren’t here tonight) – thanks for letting me love on you one night a month, for your patience in my silly games and my sometimes late or hot or salty or runny food, for letting me practice my cooking “skills” on you every month and basically for loving me in return. Next month who knows what culinary treats await. I turn 30 on the second Thursday in November. I guess that calls for a little something extra special and I can’t think of a crew I would rather spend the evening with.

No comments: