Wednesday, September 26, 2007

The word is hope, yup, I’m going with hope

I went to the Mariner’s game last night with my friend Jill. A couple of other friends, Pete and Mark, happened to be at the game as well and we ran into Mark on the way into the stadium. With the season winding down and no one believing in any type of playoff hopes the stadium was fairly empty so Jill and I eventually sat with the boys. It was the closest I have ever gotten to the Diamond Club (a dream of mine) and fun to sit with some other baseball fanatics for the game. Jill likes the game but isn’t quite full of the knowledge that someone who follows it like a religion has. I like going to games with people like that because you get to have good conversation and catch up, like Jill and I did, as well as enjoy the game. It was a great game with a bad outcome but it is always fun to go into extra innings, more fun when you end up on the winning side of the score but whatever, I was happy.

The thing that hit me this morning as I was thinking back on the evening was the conversation that happened between Mark, Pete and I. Some of it centered around the playoff hopes of the team and the mathematical possibilities of “staying in it”. The reality of last night was that if the Yankees (erg) won one more game or if the Mariners lost one more game mathematically the Mariners wouldn’t be able to catch up. When the Yankees lost in extra innings and Beltre tied it up with a two run homer in the ninth we all started to kind of think about the possibilities. What if there was a three way tie for the wild card spot? (Detroit is still contending there) How would that look? Head to head? No one really knew but it was interesting to speculate.

What hit me this morning was that there were seven games left in the season, the Yankees had to lose ALL six of their games (Mariners are playing a double header today so they have an extra game to play), and a slumping since August 24th Mariner’s team had to win all seven of their remaining games to stay in it and we all talked about it as though it was a possibility. Talk about HOPE. Talk about stupidity.

No comments: