Thursday, April 05, 2007

Marking Time

It seems as though lately all I have been doing is keeping track of time. It is my least favorite part of my job ~ billing in six-minute increments is not my favorite thing. I am constantly looking at the clock which sometimes makes the day seem quite long and other times alarmingly short. But lately in my personal life I have also been finding myself counting days and hours far too often. How many weeks until Sarah, Jenny and Kristen come? How long until I go to MN? How many weeks until Carney comes back? How long until my trip to Hawaii? These are all fun things to look forward to but I am wondering if I am missing out on things happening today, right now. Some people are really good about not putting the cart before the horse. I am not so much that way. I was talking to Erica the other day about this very thing. The goal of course is to appreciate the journey but she and I were both in agreement that we would both really like to know what the end held. I read the end of books first and never made a decision in choose your own adventure books without reading all of the options. Nothing much has changed there that is for sure.

What is the secret to enjoying today during today? A guy I dated last year told me to read a book called the Power of Now. After we broke up I tried to read it and I got a little weirded out by the “New Ageiness” so I never finished the book but I have a feeling there is probably some truth in there that maybe I should attempt again to find. In life I tend to look toward the future a lot which isn’t necessarily a bad thing, but maybe I end up missing things and I don’t even realize it. It would be like taking a road trip and only looking straight ahead out of the front of the car. Can you imagine everything you would miss?

I wish I had an answer to this question but I don’t and it is making this blog entry rather difficult to finish so I think I am going to sign off now and head back to marking time in six minute increments but AFTER that I am going to stop marking time, counting days and weeks and I am going to attempt to enjoy life as it goes by.

No comments: