Thursday, March 29, 2007

What’s a girl to do?

It started way back when with Dave Valley (although I am a bit hesitant to admit that now) then shifted to Dan Wilson for many many years; my baseball crushes, the object of my unchanging affection during baseball season. I ALWAYS have someone that I keep an eye on. The reason for the crushes change. I have a thing for catchers, not going to lie, so the crushes on Dave and Dan were simple. Dan is attractive and from the Midwest and such a great family man and a Christian to boot! What wasn’t to admire/adore. Shoot, my cat’s middle name is Danwilson.

But last year after Dan’s retirement I was a bit at a loss about what to do. Enter Jeremy Reed. He wears #7 (my favorite), isn’t a catcher but plays centerfield with great gusto, is close to my age and is adorable. All reasons to have a crush – PLUS he lived next to Uncle George so the thought of maybe having a chance to meet him made him that much more appealing. I followed him and cheered for him until he broke his hand on the 3rd of July. I saw it happen live and knew it was broken as soon as it occurred.

But my enthusiasm wasn’t squelched! I was happy each time I saw him at the park and continued to follow his rehab progress as best I could. I anxiously awaited “next year” for a myriad of reasons but one was to see JR back in the lineup. I followed his progress this spring with rapt attention and was feeling as though there was some promise for him to land a bench job since it seemed very obvious the outfield was full. But then yesterday disaster struck. The Mariners sent him to the minors. He will be starting the season at Triple A Tacoma.

So now what!? My focus has been shattered. I have no game face going into Monday’s Opening Day game. As a baseball fan it is unnerving going into the season with a superstition in ruin. I know the success of the team falls on my routine and without a Dan Wilson or Jeremy Reed I am without one. CRAP.

Who can fill the void?

Yuniesky? He has heart but I am not really into shortstops.

Big Sexy – interesting idea. 1st base is a good position. Have you heard the guy give an interview though? Not a lot of charisma there.

What about pitchers? No more Joel who I could have easily fallen in love with. Pitchers are hard too because if they are a SP you only see them once every 5 days. I need something more. One of my love languages is quality time. (hahaha – now I am cracking myself up.)

I am not into the Japanese players, I think mostly because everyone else is.

Raul? Too old.

The new guys haven’t proven themselves to me yet.

Beltre?

Lopez?

Lowe? Wait – that might be the answer. Maybe I can hang my hat on Mark Lowe. He is a reliever so I would see him more than every 5 days, from Texas which is always good, decent looking, has some fire in his belly. OK OK I am starting to come out of panic mode. Mark Lowe it is. For now at least. He better do well though or there is no way I am naming a pet after him!

Go Mariners!

3 comments:

Amanda said...

I'm still in love with David Wright. YUM! I see him tomorrow!! woo hoo!!! Should I let him know we're getting married yet?

KermitFan said...

KT, thought that you would appreciate today's quote of the day:
(About Opening Day) "You look forward to it like a birthday party when you're a kid. You think something wonderful is going to happen." — Joe DiMaggio (1914-1999) U.S. baseball player - known as "The Yankee Clipper"; three-time MVP (1939, 1941 and 1947); ten World Series titles with New York Yankees; one of the all-time most popular ballplayers.

"Opening Day is here, and this year promises lots of action. San Francisco Giant Barry Bonds is 22 homers away from toppling Hank Aaron's record of 755 career home runs. Texas Ranger Sammy Sosa is just 22 home runs away from joining the 600 club for career home runs. Cincinnati's Ken Griffey Jr. is close too, starting the season with 563." - www.dontquoteme.com

Go Mariners!

Anonymous said...

Well I have good news for you. Since you seem to be having some trouble with the Mariners this year, I would like to let you know about a nice team from the midwest. Yes the Chicago Cubs. You can check out there catcher Michael Barrett. I dont recall him being on the DL any time in the last few years. There was a time that he was suspended for punching a batter, but he deserved it. Or you can always go for your number seven player. That would be Mark DeRosa, although he is new to the Cubs, sevens seem to be all around him. Jersey number 7, weith is 205 (2+0+5=7) and hieght 6'1" (6+1=7). Just some food for thought. And we always welcome new Cub Fans.

Jay