Tuesday, December 19, 2006

Random Acts of Kindness

I went through the Starbucks drive through on Tuesday in Everett after finishing up at court where I finalized a divorce for a client. As is often the case I was chatting with Erin on the phone and was in a pretty good mood. I like starting the day out in court even if it is for a divorce. There are a number of reasons really. I get to sleep in a little bit and just going to court in general is a highlight for me no matter what really. So, I decided an eggnog latte fit my mood and the holiday spirit that I was finding myself in as I was chatting with Erin so I decided to stop. Well, what do you know – the person in the car in front of me must have been in the same spirit because when I rolled up to the window the drive through attendant told me my drink had been paid for! I couldn’t believe it! I asked her why and she said the lady in the car in front of me had paid for it as a random act of kindness. I don’t think anything like that had ever happened to me before. It made me want to return the favor. I know it became a bit of a cliché not too long ago with that Kevin Spacey movie but there is something to the idea of “paying it forward”. Her small $3.00 act actually made my whole day! I think I treated other people more kindly and I know I probably laughed a little louder and harder than I normally would have that day. It is amazing what great things such a small act can do for another person. I can’t wait until the next time I go through a drive through.

No comments: